Reflection, Week 2

I love the cartonera project Jennifer Laffin writes about at today’s reflection post at Jen Vincent‘s Teach Mentor Text blog. I will definitely bring it to my colleagues in Bahrain. In June I pulled off a last minute author’s day just with my grade 5 students who had written novels this year. However, every minute of the experience, I knew we had to do something bigger and broader next year. This may be it. Thank you again to Jennifer for the inspiration.

Here’s how I did this week regarding my goals: I wrote 3000/4000 words. One thing I did that was not a stated goal was to tackle the first step in developing my characters and scenes. I organized what I had written so far into a sort of outline. I made a table of contents of probable chapters and I just cut and pasted all the short scenes I have been writing into the proper chapters. That helped me know where to start writing.

The pit of the week was I skipped half the days of writing. Sad!

The peak was Mike Jung’s comment on my short snippet I left on his quick write assignment this week. He asked me a lot of questions that I didn’t know the answers to. It reminded me that I have to get out of my head and onto the paper who these characters are and what they are doing. Another peak is I ordered Mike’s book Geeks, Girls, and Secret Identities.

Those questions Mike asked lead me to my goal for this week, which will be the same as last week. A few thousand words developing characters and scenes and answering Mike’s and others’ questions. I need to stop writing random 3 paragraph passages and do the work of writing whole chapters for this very rough first draft.